Question: Are there names that are forbidden in the Shariah, which can not be called? What are these names?
Response: Praise be to Allah.
Yes, there are names prohibited by Sharia, which can not be called, for example:
1. It is forbidden to call any name which belongs only to Almighty Allah, as al-Halik الخالق («Creator), al-Kuddus القدوس or a name that is suitable only for Allah, as Malik al-Mulyukov ملك الملوك («King of Kings”), and agree with this all fakihi.
Ibn al-Kayyim gave names that can be called only to Allah: Allah الله, Ar-Rahman الرحمن, Al-Hakam الحكم, Al-Ahad الأحد, al-Samad الصمد, al-Halik الخالق, al-Razzak الرزاق, al-Jabbar الجبار al-Mutakabbir المتكبر, Awwal الأول, al-Ahira الآخر, al-Batyn الباطن and Allyamul-guyub غلام الغيوب (“Tuhfat al-Mawdudi, p. 98).
The fact that points to the forbidden name names, related only to the Almighty Allah, as Malik al-Mulyukov – hadith given by al-Bukhari and Muslim from Abu Gureyry رضي الله عنه, that the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم said:
أخنى الأسماء يوم القيامة عند الله رجل تسمى ملك الملوك
“The most obscene name in the Day of Judgement before Allah will be the person whose name is Malik al-Mulyukov” (Hadith number 2606). In Saheeh Muslim, this hadith is as follows:
أغيظ رجل على الله يوم القيامة, أخبثه واغيظه عليه: رجل كان يسمى ملك الأملاك, لا ملك إلا الله
“The worst angering Allah on Judgement Day man named Malik al-Mulyukov no Malik (king), but Allah” (Hadith number 2143).
With regard to common names between Allah and His creatures, the so-called possible, as Ali علي, Latif لطيف and Badi بديع.
Al-Hasafi said: “The values of these names with respect us different from what we have in mind in the Almighty Allah.”
2. It is forbidden to call names that befit only the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم, like Sayyid Valyad Adam سيد ولد آدم («Mr. sons of Adam”), Sayidunnas سيد الناس («Mr Men”), Sayyidul-Kull سيد الكل («lord of all”) because these names, as mentioned Hanbalis, fit only to the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم.
3. It is forbidden to call any name on the “abd”, which is not added to the name of Allah, as Abduluzza عبد العزى («office of al-Uzza”), Abdulkaba عبد الكعبة («office Kaby”), Abduddar عبد الدار («servant of al-Dara) , Abduali عبد علي («servant Ali”), Abdulhuseyn عبد الحسين («office of al-Husayn), Abdulmasih عبد المسيح («office of the Messiah”), etc. (Hashiya Ibn Abidin, 5 / 268, “Mugnil-muhtadzh, 4 / 295,” Tuhfatul-muhtadzh “10 \ 373,” Kashshaf al-kina “, 3 / 27,” Tuhfatul-Mawdudi, p. 90).
Dalila on such a taboo to call a spade – that led Ibn Abi Scheib from Yazid bin al-Mikdama bin Shureyha, from his father from his grandfather Ghani bin Yazid رضي الله عنه, who said: “By the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم delegation came from people, and he heard one man call Abdulhadzhar عبد الحجر («office of Stone”) and he asked him:
“What’s your name?” He said: “Abdulhadzhar, and the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم said:
إنما أنت عبد الله
“Verily, thou Abdullah” (Al-al-Mavsua fikhiya “11 \ 335).
4. It is forbidden to call the names of the idols are worshiped besides Allah.
5.Zaprescheno call the names of devils, as Iblis إبليس , Hanzab خنزب , and in the Sunnah is that people who are so called, changed their names.
With regard to unwanted names, they can be allocated as follows:
1. Undesirable is called a name that grates on the ear because of its value or sound that may cause embarrassment or ridicule for owners of such names have a bad influence on them besides the fact that this is a contradiction instruction Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم better names.
2. Undesirable is called names, having the values associated with lust and weakness. Such names are very much among women, for example, Faten فاتن («enchanting”) or Mignadzh مغناج («flirtatious, playful”).
3. Undesirable to deliberately call the child names the wicked from among the actors, singers and musicians.
Of the visible manifestations of the absence of some people iman that when they see a theatrical production in which there are lewd women, rushing like mad to call their children after them. Anyone who has seen the birth of the metric, written immediately after this statement, see the truth of these words. And to Allah to draw complaints.
4. Undesirable is called names that point to sin or disobedience.
5. Is desirable to call the names of pharaohs and tyrants.
6. Desirable to call the foreign names that are used primarily by infidels.
Muslim, pleased with his religion, moving away from these names, and even close to him does not fit. Fitna of such names has increased in our time, and people are borrowing the names of the infidels of Europe and America, and it is – sin, and one of the reasons for the defeat. Even if the imitation of disbelievers in their names is due to the whim and undeveloped mind, this provides a great sin, and if so called, assuming that the kafir names better than the names of the Muslims – that there is a huge risk, fluctuating basis of faith, and in both cases, the need to rush to repentance and change of names – one of the conditions of repentance in this situation.
And some Muslims today refer to their daughters, Linda, Nancy, Diana, etc., and to Allah we draw complaints.
7. Desirable to call children names of animals known for their poor quality, for example, khimar حمار («donkey”), Theiss تيس («goat”), etc.
8. Desirable to call the name consisting of two words, the second of which “al-Din” (“religion”) and “al-Islam, because these names carry the value tazkiey (praise), for example, Nuruddin نور الدين (« light of religion “), Ziauddin ضياء الدين («radiance of religion”), Saifulislam سيف الإسلام («sword of Islam”), Nurulislam نور الإسلام («Light of Islam”). The one who was so called, may not correspond to its name, and when he grows up, it could be a disaster for the Muslims, an enemy of religion, and his name will be “an assistant religion” (Naseruddin). Desirable so called because of the greatness of these two words – ‘al-Din and Al-Islam. Add another name to them leads to the empty pretensions and a lie in relation to man. Therefore, some scholars said that giving such names haram, but most agreed on the fact that these names – makrooh (undesirable) because they have the wrong value.
Sometimes this name is forbidden for two reasons, for example, Shihabuddin شهاب الدين. Shihab – “firebrand” or “torch”, and added to it, “al-Din. Some went as far as what is called Zahabuddin ذهب الدين (“gold religion”), Masuddin ماس الدين (“Diamond religion”), while others may be called Jahan جهنم («Hell”), Rakateyn ركعتين («2 rakata”), Sadzhed ساجد (“commits prostration – sajdah”), Raki راكع («commits ruku ‘), Zakir ذاكر («commemorate”), etc.
Al-Nawawi, may Allaah have mercy on him, not like when he was called Muhyiddin (“animating the religion”), and Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah, may Allah have mercy on him, not like when he was called Takiyuddin and said: “But My family gave me this nickname, and it became known. ”
9. A team of scientists found it undesirable to call children names of angels, peace be upon them. As for whether to call a women named angels, then it is haraam, because in this case – likening mushrik that they thought the angels daughters of Allah.
10. Many scientists considered desirable to call the names of the Quranic suras, for example, Taha طه, Yasin ياسين, Hamim حم. As to the words of ordinary people that Yasin Taha – the names of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم, something is wrong.
11. Names that contain tazkiyu as Barra برة («pious”) , Thus تقي («God-fearing”) and Abid عابد («worshiper”). See “Tuhfat al-Mawdudi,” Ibn al-Kayyima and Tasma al Mavlyuda “Bakr Abu Zayd.
And Allah knows best.
Sheikh Muhammad Saleh Al-Munadzhzhid